Megève’s a stunning place to see Snow and Ice, something I don’t know!
I’ve always wondered what it’s like to be in the Alps in winter. The cold, the snow, the strong biting sun but I’ve never had the chance, until now!
What we call mountains in Australia doesn’t really compare to what is the real alps scattered around the rest of the world. When I finally saw those mountainous rocks piercing the sky on my first visit to Megève in the summer of 1992 for my sister’s wedding I thought to myself, “these are real mountains!” …And as I left I wondered what it would be like in winter.
Now I’ve seen a real winter scene.
Coming from the sub-tropics, a real winter as experienced by most people is something that I’ve always wondered about. Sure I’ve experienced some cold moments in my life but never the ice and snow of the French Alps and all that it entails. It’s far too easy for me to have no idea what to do and how to live in this environment but there is also the fun of seeing for real what I’ve only every seen in film and images.
- My first step when I arrived involved sliding on the ice. (The ground isn’t supposed to be slippery).
- How do the hedges survive under half a metre of snow.
- Amazement of the strength of the building to hold tons of snow on the roofs.
- Icicles forming from dripping water on the gutters.
- Bitting cold that saps the warmth from every exposed or poorly covered part of the body.
- Snow that remains dry and powdery even after days of warm weather.
- Ice that melts (sublimates) to dryness without ever being liquid water.
- How much air is in freshly fallen snow.
- A large mouthful of snow results in very little water to drink.
- Ice is really hard to walk on in leather soled shoes!
- The comfortable inside temperature is no indication of how cold it is outside.
- Ice crystals growing on the snow over the several days of fine weather .
An Alpine Village
Mixing it with the Locals
To automatically receive this podcast freely to you, click on one of the links to the left or search in iTunes for “Your Story.”
Buy at Amazon MP3
More On This Album